Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Prickly Pear Cactus

My honey's sugar was 139 this morning. We did not work out so, I will take that number. It is still higher than I would like it to be but this is 150 % better than few days ago.

So, I found out about Prickly Pear Cactus just a few days ago. This fruit has an effect to lower blood glucose level. This was used by native Americans and also still today used widely among Mexicans to lower blood sugar level. I am sure this is used by wide varieties of differnent ethnic region. This may have side effect if it is used with diabetes medication, so make sure to check with your physician if you are to add any types of herbal remedies to your diet.

My honey started out with insulin but when he was doing well, the doctor removed him from insulin treatment. Even his sugar was little over 500 recently, he still had not seen the doctor (I have told him to make an appointment and so far he has promised me that he will make an appointment today...) so he is not on any diabetes medication.

I figured if this fruits has any chance to lower his blood glucose level, why not try this. So, I dragged him to look for Prickly Pear Cactus this past weekend. I did not even know how to eat this fruit so I did few research. It is actually very easy to eat. I found a green one and a red one. I found out both of them are edible. Basically, you need to carefully inspect not to have a cactus spines. The one I bought was very clean. I did not see any spines from cactus. So, I washed then cutted in half. It was very juicy. As I was cutting it, juice was coming out of fruit. Then we used spoon to scoop the inside and gave it a first bite. I prefered red one rather an green one. It tasted like a pomegranate meet with a cosmopolitan. It was very yummy.

According to my reading, rule of thumb is to eat this fruit with meal to get an effect. When he had this without a meal, blood sugar went significantly high then when he had this with dinner, blood sugar went down significantly. You may experience stomach problems. He had a mild one but he is doing fine now. Last night, he only had half of Prickly Pear Cactus, so for tonight, I am prepareing a whole one for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment